TCM abroad

A general discussion forum for everything and anything. (Covering topics such as the latest Acupuncture news and research, Acupuncture theory, clinical practice, clinical experiences and treatment.)

Moderators: JY, PeterG

TCM abroad

Postby reoun » Mon May 31, 2010 12:27 pm

Studying abroad or studying in Australia which is the better in regards to real experience. Ive got an opportunity to study in china for six months at an accredited Institute in Beijing which is the Beijing International Acupuncture Training Center (800 hours of training). As I already hold a Diploma in Remedial massage from an accredited Australian institute and a Diploma of Thai massage (Thailand 300 hours). I have always been interested in acupuncture and want to incorporate it into my part time business. I would like the thoughts of others in regard to legalities of praticing this holding chinese acupuncture qualifications when I return to Australia in 9 months time.
reoun
Forum Newbie

Postby mrpin » Mon May 31, 2010 7:16 pm

Um, It all depends on 2012 when legislation goes through making it rather difficult to practice unless you have an Australian obtained degree qualification in order to be registered (of course Yet to be confirmed on entry level quals despite being 2 years off... typical.). Personally I think it should not matter from where you get your qualification from as it should be a portable one based on competence not the right pats on the back as it is heading.
However pats on the back is where it is heading so stick to an Aussi Qualification if you intend to practice here.
Post graduation, then enjoy a China trip to enjoy the differences. Both experiences are valuable yet different.
mrpin

Postby Skyhigh » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:43 am

mrpin wrote:Um, It all depends on 2012 when legislation goes through making it rather difficult to practice unless you have an Australian obtained degree qualification in order to be registered (of course Yet to be confirmed on entry level quals despite being 2 years off... typical.). Personally I think it should not matter from where you get your qualification from as it should be a portable one based on competence not the right pats on the back as it is heading.
However pats on the back is where it is heading so stick to an Aussi Qualification if you intend to practice here.
Post graduation, then enjoy a China trip to enjoy the differences. Both experiences are valuable yet different.

OK, ... so what about all us now that have not got an Aussie degrees, but have studied overseas and learnt the real thing.. TCM.. not what is taught in USA or Australia, which is mostly watered down to please the regulators..who have no idea of what TCM is really anyway.... Been there.. seen both.. and yes I am an Aussie.. how has practiced in the US.. What does that mean for me then.. I have practiced, even for a short period, at one time all over the world, as I travel.. gain real experience and have a greater understanding from many a different prospective..

Some say the insertion should be 'x'.. other say.. 'y' yet others say 'z'.. so who is right.. are they all right...? or are they all wrong..? remembering that most of their knowledge has been handed down through the years.. teacher to student.. most of them have no idea on what a western medical procedure is or how to perform any type of western examination, but I sure as hell would feel allot safer with them inserting a needle into me than half the westerners I have seen doing acupuncture with degrees up the 'yin-yang'...

If you agree with me.. speak out before IT IS TOO LATE.. and TCM gets swallowed into the cavernous crawls of the regulators here in Australia too as well..
Skyhigh

Postby Skyhigh » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:50 am

mrpin wrote:Um, It all depends on 2012 when legislation goes through making it rather difficult to practice unless you have an Australian obtained degree qualification in order to be registered (of course Yet to be confirmed on entry level quals despite being 2 years off... typical.). Personally I think it should not matter from where you get your qualification from as it should be a portable one based on competence not the right pats on the back as it is heading.

Then lets not kid ourselves here.. then lets just drop the facade of calling it "Traditional Chinese Medicine" TCM.. and call it "stick them with the needle Aussie style".. and be honest about what it is.. That way TCM will not get a bad name in Australia.

Speak out now.. stop the regulation of licensing .. we are not dogs.. we are people who practice TCM..
Skyhigh

Postby mrpin » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:02 am

Totally agree,
It got a bad name long ago, basically because it became a add on service for all due to the non ownership of the art to the TCM profession (aka the availability of weekend courses for non TCM practitioners).
There is a distinct dual education system in the West, doing a degree specifically in TCM or the other option of doing it as a weekend course at the end on top of a non related degree. The problem is the public does not know the difference.
I think it may be a little late to stop registration as the industry has pushed for it at its peril.
Now practitioners must pay to be liscenced and regulated and told how to do things or else they will not be allowed to practice... Check and mate.
mrpin

Time to SPEAK out for TCM..

Postby Skyhigh » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:13 am

Then before it is too late.. SPEAK OUT.. shout loud.. so people who may care ..can hear... do nothing and that is what you deserve.. NOTHING.. because that is what you will end up with if you are not prepared to speak out.. It is never too late until the regulators have their way... and they will.. if you don't speak out.. seen it all over the place.. "we are not dogs.. we are people who practice TCM.."
Skyhigh

Postby mrpin » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:18 am

I have spoken out loud and clear but all the associations seem hell bent on going down this path, and the pen ink on the legislation is dried and set in place. Fortunately there is still time to change careers, as I know exactly what is on the cards and I do not intend to support this move.
It would seem the tail of the dog seems to wag the dog instead of the dog waging its tail for this profession.
While the art is extremely effective as a healing modality, TCM as a profession is making itself redundant by its internal politics and misguided regulatory direction.
From 2012 if you want to practice acupuncture you will need a degree as a minimum, unless of course you are from another modality in which case not much changes, two systems for the one profession. My advice would be to skip TCM and do something else that doesn't get disadvantaged by being part of TCM then get to China for study as a post grad.
mrpin

Postby Skyhigh » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:38 am

SPEAK OUT AND LOUD.. if you want to practice TCM.

Hang in there and do what you can to speak out against regulation. Or after you come back from China, you will get to practice only "stick em with the 'pins' Aussie style."

The time now is to fight and fight hard we must.. before the regulators get their own way and banish TCM from Australia. This a concerted effort that is being backed by the drug companies to BANISH and DEGRADE TCM world wide. They are even trying to do it in China. The time now is to fight, not after they have passed some regulation and demand you be licensed like a dog. NOW IS THE TIME TO FIGHT.. before it is passed.

Sky..
Skyhigh

regulate TCM before it is too late

Postby marlon » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:37 am

Yes, that is right. No regulation , can not call it a profession. Pleasse follow the lead of States like California that make it that one must have a real education and sqeeze out the quacks.
:D
marlon
Forum Newbie

Re: TCM abroad

Postby jhonpointing » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:42 pm

I’m happy that you shared this useful info with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.
jhonpointing

Return to Acupuncture Discussion Forum