Looking for a mentor?

A general discussion forum for everything and anything. (Covering topics such as the latest Acupuncture news and research, Acupuncture theory, clinical practice, clinical experiences and treatment.)

Moderators: JY, PeterG

Looking for a mentor?

Postby hUgs » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:33 pm

As I am currently studying acupuncture, I am hoping for someone to take me under their wing and teach me more about chinese medicine. I would like to build a solid foundation in Chinese Medicine, understand its roots, be able to diagnosis confidently and treat appropriately with acu and herbal medicine. Basically I would love to have a mentor. Does anyone have any suggestions?
hUgs
Forum Newbie

Postby sxm » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:13 pm

Good for you, hUgs.

You objective is great. What really practical is clinical efficacy. My suggestion is find some mentor in another city. They do not want competitions, once you learn all the trade from them.

Sung, Yuk-ming
sxm

Postby hUgs » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:14 pm

Thanks Sung, Yuk-ming

I appreciate the comment.. A very valid point too.. I shall make enquiries in another city once I have finished my study..

Thank you again for your suggestion. :D
hUgs
Forum Newbie

Re: Looking for a mentor?

Postby Skyhigh » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:47 pm

hUgs wrote:As I am currently studying acupuncture, I am hoping for someone to take me under their wing and teach me more about chinese medicine. I would like to build a solid foundation in Chinese Medicine, understand its roots, be able to diagnosis confidently and treat appropriately with acu and herbal medicine. Basically I would love to have a mentor. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I applaud you for considering being mentored. It was the old way in TCM and should still be that way to keep TCM alive and functional, especially in Australia. Being mentored in my opinion (for what that is worth) is more important than to sit in a classroom and study from books and lectures.. It is truly becoming a lost art and a I believe a vital part of the training that every TCM practitioner should receive before they can call themselves a TCM practitioner.. That also being said, it should be that more practitioners take the dizi (deeper than just an just an 'apprentice'..almost a family member) under their tutorship. Lets try and keep the real meaning and the real practices of TCM alive..

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS... NO REGULATION OF TCM in Australia..

Sky...

PS.. When you are ready, I will try and find you one in China..
Skyhigh

Postby sxm » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:06 pm

Hugs

I don't know what year you are in now or if your curriculum covering this subject. I suggest you to get this book and study by your own. If you are as serious to practice tcm as you say, you won't regret it.

Understanding the Jin Gui Yao Lue: A Practical Textbook.
PMPH 2009.(727p, hardcover).

It is excellently translated in simple and brief English. It is available now in Aussi online book website. The origin text is written 1800 yrs ago and this subject was taught as the course of Chinese internal medicine in China back in early 80s.

The significance of this book
1) the first English text identical to the Chinese textbooks used in China
2) discuss the diagnostic methods /pathomechanisms of individual diseases
3) the most comprehensive and authoritative textbook of this subject, covering 40+ internal diseases with 262 formulas
4) user-friendly, with summary tables upon at the rear of each chapter
5) each line is fully discussed with commentary
6) with applicable case studies

Jin Gui is one of the big 4 classics (canon)s that all tcm professions should master. Zhang, zhong-jing is the author of Jin Gui Yao Lue (Essentials of the Golden Cabinet) as Shang Han Lue.

If you have questions fr the text, you can address to teachers at your college or me. I am more than happy to answer that as i am the author.
sxm

Postby hUgs » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:07 am

Thanks Sung, Yuk-ming

I shall most defiantly purchase that book, sounds fabulous!!

Warm regards
hUgs
Forum Newbie

Postby sxm » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:17 pm

Hi Hugs,

I wonder if your class has covered formulation. I have written a book on medicinal dishes and Qigong for cancer patients. If you have time and are interested, I want to send you some contents for your opinions, as my target readers are laymen. I would like your feedbacks.

Sung, Yuk-ming
sxm

looking for a mentor

Postby sxm » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:15 pm

Hugs, I would like to give you another piece of advice regarding looking for Chinese medicine mentor, which I think may be more useful for you. There are a narrow or a broad road approach choices.

You have to ask yourself, why on earth would a famous and experienced Chinese medicine doctor (any nationality), packed with patients in his clinic, take me (or an outsider) as an apprentice. Why would they are anxious to pass down their knowledge to an outsider like me? What can I offer? Remember, he or she does not have to put up with the hassles of today’s youngsters undesirable behaviors of being late at work, take a sick leave suddenly when they have no moods, lack of motivation, or carefree working attitude?

In old days, apprentices (of any trade) had no paycheck, except room and board, and may be some petty money. No holidays. May be a few days when the shop will close anyway. You are there whenever the shops opens and you are wanted. The training usually takes 3 to 6 years. Do you think you are prepared for that? There is no fun of being an apprentice. For example, Japanese sushi chef apprentice is said to have wash the buckets for a whole year before they are allowed to lay hands on making sushi. Who on earth has this kind of patience, endurance, and commitment?

Back to the Chinese medicine apprentice. Usually they are referred to the mentor by close friends, relatives, or someone who shows absolute sincerity to learn. Being an apprentice is not the most glorious job one can find. They are required to run errands, moving heavy things, household tasks, babysitting, and washing clothes in the old days. To summarize, it is the tedious, laborious, undignified, and next to no pay job.
What is the reward? To master the knowledge in the profession that you can make a comfortable living, if you bump into a good master. This is the narrow and tough small road

Fortunately, today tcm students have options. They can choose to study abroad, China, and to experience metropolitan city life of Beijing or Shanghai. You are treated as VIP and well-protected. Your request will be honored by the hospital staff or college staff and you can learn any clinical subject you desire. Just order it.

The training lasts a couple of weeks or 6 weeks at most. You can also visit Tibet (in case you study in Chengdu, Sichuan province) on your way back home, or Great Wall in Beijing or Hangzhou, the Chinese Venice. May be you have the opportunity having teas with some monks. How nice?

Will you pick up the trade? Yes, you will have some ideas of every specialty you observed. Like butterflies touching from flower to flower. Well, to say the least you have foreign clinical experiences and that counts. It is sweet and the road is broad.
sxm

Postby sxm » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:32 pm

Someone sent me a message from the states couple of weeks ago, while I was occupied in Canada . Please send me a massage again with your email address, thank you.
sxm

Postby jhonpointing » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:01 pm

TCM has got the best of medical professionals who can make the perfect usage of the medicine depending on the illness.
jhonpointing

Postby Kelly1994 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:11 am

I am looking for a mentor situated in the US especially in Illinois. I would appreciate if someone share the details here.
Life isn't about getting and having, it's about giving and being. –Kevin Kruse
Kelly1994

Return to Acupuncture Discussion Forum