Needle Brands

A general discussion forum for everything and anything. (Covering topics such as the latest Acupuncture news and research, Acupuncture theory, clinical practice, clinical experiences and treatment.)

Moderators: JY, PeterG

Needle Brands

Postby mrpin » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:16 pm

With prices ranging from $4 to $25 a box for most varieties of acupuncture needles, personally I have not found too much difference when using a $4 box compared to a $25 box.
(As a policy anyone more than 20 mins late without good reason always gets the chunky pins).
Does anyone have a favorite brand? and why?
Preference for Chinese vs Japanese or American etc?
What is the ultimate brand
mrpin

Postby Luke_ » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:19 am

I dont think you can specify a fav brand i guess it depends on your techniqe and experience
Luke_
Forum Newbie

Postby mrpin » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:08 pm

Just purchased some acupuncture needles at $16 +GST and I can honestly say they are no better than the $4 box.
I know which ones I will be getting next time around!
From the more costly ones, I have found the Japanese serins to be excellent and worth the extra $ (metal handle) .22 to .25 1" they dont hurt even when they probably should. (This is probably due to some form of a coating they have according to one unconfirmed rumour).
Yes experience does come into play, but there is definately some better brands out there than others.
mrpin

Postby leon » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:12 am

"(As a policy anyone more than 20 mins late without good reason always gets the chunky pins)"

if that's a joke, it's not funny.
and if it's the truth you should be ashamed of yourself.
leon
Forum Newbie

Postby mrpin » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:57 am

Aussi sense of humour, (I dont expect some Americans to get it, but this is an Aussi site after all).
When you compare acupuncture needles to hyperdermics there is no such a thing as a chunky pin, If you were to use chunky pins at any time you would not have any return customers as acupuncture is essentially pain free.
:roll:
mrpin

Postby leon » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:18 am

ok honestly, I'm fond of the aussie humour and had I known that to be the case I would have cut that comment more slack ;) so my apologies.
You must understand, being caught up in the american health care system where it's near impossible to find ANYone who doesn't take their responsibility far too lightly, who doesn't just go through the motions, who doesn't act selfishly, patient be damned... I imagined your comment from the mouths of all those who can't be bothered to take their patient's (my) pain/dilemma seriously enough to administer their treatment in a thoughtful manner.

long-winded way of saying god these people have made me so jaded/angry and I shouldn't take it out on a good-natured aussie.

be well.
leon
Forum Newbie

Postby mrpin » Sun May 10, 2009 8:47 pm

No probs, Just visit Australia for acu treatments.
May work out cheaper too even including the airfare!
Many of the practitioners here do it pretty much for the love of it or if anything as a 2nd job. There is very little $ to be made for 95% of practitioners so you tend to get genuine care to fix health problems to the best of the practitioners abilities.
Only downside is a few warped, well actually very warped humours..
:P

Ps Having experimented with pretty much all needle types available in Australia I have concluded that overall the cheapest needle is the best one. They are all made to pretty high standards these days, if you are paying $20 for your box thats $16 too much. Pinch and fly technique works a treat for me.
They all seem to not hurt about the same.

(If you've got $ to burn Serin metal handle still gets my personal top vote).
mrpin

Japanese needles

Postby Luke_ » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:44 pm

Just a word of warning, although japanese needles are less painful than their chinese counterparts. they are more dangerous to use (at least in inexperienced hands) since they are sharper. this makes it easier to pierce organs and tendons without the patient know right away.
Luke_
Forum Newbie

Needle Brands

Postby rydenatu » Sat May 22, 2010 8:44 am

The Dong Ban needles from Korea are excellent
rydenatu
Forum Newbie

Re: Needle Brands

Postby jhonpointing » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:00 pm

I’m happy that you shared this useful info with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.
jhonpointing

Postby monte » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:47 pm

I've been using Holy Dragon (Japanese style) for years now without really contemplating a change. The last time I used Carbos, I thought the Holy Dragons were superior. I have used some better quality needles (sent to me as a promotion) - Tempo - and they were great but not worth almost $10 extra per box. I would like people to name the brands they're using and the cost. My interest is in what can be bought in Australia.
monte
Forum Newbie

Postby Kelly1994 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:35 pm

Yes, brand name doesn't impact much. Whichever brand you prefer it should be good in functionality.
Life isn't about getting and having, it's about giving and being. –Kevin Kruse
Kelly1994

Return to Acupuncture Discussion Forum