TMJ - Toothache treatments

A general discussion forum for everything and anything. (Covering topics such as the latest Acupuncture news and research, Acupuncture theory, clinical practice, clinical experiences and treatment.)

Moderators: JY, PeterG

TMJ - Toothache treatments

Postby mjtiff » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:00 pm

I am treating a client for TMJ pain causing toothache & headaches. Client grinds teeth to point where one tooth has been ground down causing a toothache.
Pts used are LI 4, Liv 3, St 6 GB 34 & Taiyang.
Within 20secs of insertion of ST6 a temporal headache appears on the opposite side & increases in intensity. Have left ST 6 in for only a max of 4-5 minutes when the pain becomes almost unbearable. As soon as it is taken out the headache dissipates within a matter of seconds.

Does anyone have an explaination as to why this may occur.

My thoughts are that there is a release of the affected side which transfers pressure to the unaffected side.
mjtiff
Forum Newbie

Postby The witchdoctor » Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:48 am

sounds like a reasonable deduction why not start onthe unaffected side to preempt the tension buildup, have you tried the points further down on the neck like st10 & 11, also gb 4 through 7 are good for this to release the temporalis muscle for these types of tjm problems, see how you go
The witchdoctor

Postby yinyangthang » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:13 pm

Teeth grinding is caused by different TCM patterns. What is your diagnosis of this patient? Qi stasis? Other considerations are St heat/fire, Liver wind from deficiency or from Liver fire stirring, qi/xue deficiency, use of drugs like speed, intestinal parasites etc. The appropriate pattern needs to be addressed.

Maybe consider clearing the channels using distal points before inserting the local points. Consider St44 and GB37.

Good luck
yinyangthang

Re: TMJ - Toothache treatments

Postby Scheu48 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:31 pm

I will ask my dentist Hermosa Beach about it. I am visiting him tomorrow for a regular dental checkup. I am sure he has all the answers. I am going to him for a very long time now and trust him blindly. I don’t feel like switching my dentist at all.
Scheu48
Forum Newbie

Return to Acupuncture Discussion Forum