Body hair loss

A general discussion forum for everything and anything. (Covering topics such as the latest Acupuncture news and research, Acupuncture theory, clinical practice, clinical experiences and treatment.)

Moderators: JY, PeterG

Body hair loss

Postby stiev » Tue May 08, 2007 9:34 pm

I've recently been experiencing extreme loss of body hair. Hair on arms, chest, leg hair and pubic hair, all thinning and falling out. Does anyone know if TCM may be able to treat this?

I have found TCM to be very effective for loss of head hair, but I've had treatment for this and still experience loss of body hair. I recently discovered that TCM sees head hair and body hair as two separate functions of the body (kidney and lungs respectively), but the practitioner I see treats hair loss generically - he has his own set of points for this.

I've never heard of anyone having thinning and falling body hair; only the hair loss of male patent baldness and alopecia. My beard is currently thinning and falling out everywhere, especially in food. It's a real hassle.

Does anyone have any idea what could cause this, and what may work to treat it? Now it's getting colder and it's strange. My arms and legs are getting cold where they never did before.

I guess it's a minor problem, but I'd like to treat it if I can. Of course, I hope it doesn't indicate something serious going wrong.
stiev

Postby Sensei » Tue May 15, 2007 10:19 am

There may be other organs and pathologies involved and like all diagnosis in TCM the full case would need to be looked at.

One area you may want to look at with hair related problems is the blood (Xue).

Some TCM hair loss herbal treatments have the function of nourishing the blood, so it is definately something you (or your practitioner) should look into.
Sensei

Postby stiev » Wed May 23, 2007 4:27 pm

Thanks a lot, Sensei. I guess my problem is that I haven't found a good practioner. One guy just does the same needle points and doesn't diagnose using pulses, tongue or questions (or anything else that I can see). The other guy treats every session as a new session; pulses, tongue, the same questions, and the same reaction to symptoms. He asks the questions, feels the pulses, goes "hmph," and sticks the needles in. It's hard to get anything out of him.

I'd like to find a practitioner who can discuss the problem and put a treatment plan into effect. I'd like to see someone who can discuss behaviour and nutrition and other relevant factors; i.e, someone who treats these things (to use an overworked term) holistically.

These Chinese guys are experienced, patient and very traditional but, in my experience, they lack the bedside manner and communication skills of Western practitioners. I'm currently studying TCM, so I'm trying to learn from all this. If you know of a good TCM practitioner in Sydney, please let me know!
stiev

Postby The witchdoctor » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:37 pm

But if you were a triathlete it would be a blessing in disguise, no more shaving or other things, which city are you in, sounds like a lung deficiency also especially with the increased sensitivity to cold the wei qi is declining as well as general yang something with huang qi(astragalis) in it will help heaps
The witchdoctor

Postby dw » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:46 am

another option you could look into is higher levels of heavy metals in your blood, which can cause body hair loss.
dw
Forum Newbie

Postby dragonmonk » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:48 am

I second the post regarding heavy metals.

Even things like overconsumption of brazil nuts, which have high amounts of selenium, could cause this.
dragonmonk
Forum Newbie

Postby yinyangthang » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:59 pm

Losing hair from all parts of the body is known as alopecia universalis and can be from various TCM patterns, including
Blood heat stirring wind
Yin and blood deficiency
Qi and Blood def
blood stasis

As you can see, these patterns need to be differentiated in order to provide appropriate treatment, as the treatment principles for each of these patterns is very different. You need to find a practitioner who has the ability to do this. I'd suggest finding a Chinese herbalist who specializes in dermatology - don't know any in Sydney unfortunately. Maybe ask your lecturers?

Good luck
yinyangthang

Return to Acupuncture Discussion Forum